miércoles, 29 de enero de 2014

Thoughts on Ogre, PhyreEngine, Cocos2d-x and Construct2

Through my career as game programmer, whether as a hobby
or as way of living I've used several engines, but the ones
i've used the most are Ogre, PhyreEngine, Cocos2d-x and Construct2.
I want to share a bit of what I've perceived on this rendering
Engines, particularly about the power, architecture and
ease of use they have.

OGRE
I think Ogre should be one of the KEYS to learn game programming.
It is VERY powerful, yet very easy to use and master. I used
it for many projects, videogames and VR alike, and honestly
speaking, I could not find something I could not do through
Ogre. Something I particularly enjoyed about Ogre is that its
so well planned, maybe I didn't know how to accomplish this or
that, but I just could sit down for a moment or two, and GUESS
how to do it, because its so well planned, that everything works
in the same way. There was this killer combination of libraries
that I found when using Ogre
Ogre + Bullet or Newton + dotSceneFormat
+ OpenAL + BETAGui + CG + Theora for Videos. 
With this libraries, 
I felt unstoppable. The community is very active, and very helpful.
I ended up smashing into a wall, when I tried to port Ogre
to the PS3 platform though. After a few days trying to port Ogre
to then Port my game, I felt it was faster to rewrite my game from
scratch, and thats when I met PhyreEngine.



PhyreEngine
Phyre is like an amazing opportunity for PS Developers. Though is not
as user friendly as UDK, or Havok, it is FREE and you get access
to many things reserved for Engines that cost a lot. When I mean
its not user friendly, I really mean it; I have found classes that have
SETTERS but dont have GETTERS, so I have to store that variable
outside that particular class; other times I have found that the programmers
FORGOT to uncomment this or that and that was WHY my code
was not working. BUT, if you want to program a videogame
for Sony platforms like a pro, but do not have the money, Phyre
is definitely a great option, you have to have the guts to get
deep into the Phyre source code and change it if you need to.
I am working currently working with Phyre in two projects,
and now that I have tamed it, I really enjoy it, and enjoy
the computing power it gives me.

Cocos2D-x
I am a 3d person, I do not tend to feel comfortable with
2D engines, there is something I just dont quite get about making
2D games, BUT if I have to do something in 2D, Cocos2D-x is
definitely my first choice. Aside from all that internal memory
management, like RETAIN and RELEASE that have become
very usual, I really like the architecture of Cocos2D-x; I dont think
the architecture is AS GOOD as Ogre's, and its definitely less
elegant, but its still very good. There is something I dont
really like about the name of the functions and methods, I think
they are elusive to understand for a new comer, I believe Ogre
is way more practical in the naming and general accessing
of characteristics, but it should still be easy to learn.

Construct2
I was amazed when I met this software. Im not normally
very keen to non-programming softwares to create games but
Construct2 beat me. It was very easy, and if you were an
artist and wanted to created your html5 game, Construct2
could definitely be at hand. For me, as a programmer, it
was sometimes cumbersome to use the software, I kept
thinking, I could do something so easily by code, and
in construct it had to be such a pain, but I could get
a game running in less than a week. For hobby programmers,
artists or work for hire games, Construct2 its worth the time.
Also its extremely cheap, 100USD for the complete version.


 Construct2 Game, created in 1 week
 Ogre game demo running in iOS
Phyre game demo running on PSVita



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario